4.10.15 Lemon Almond Oat Cookies
Sometimes, you just need cookies. Because, let’s be honest, there are few occasions in life that can’t be made better with a warm batch of cookies and a tall, cold glass of milk. As you can probably guess, I get a lot of cookie cravings. Which means there’s usually a decent amount of cookie baking going on at our house. I’d say that’s definitely a good thing.
Now when it comes to specific types of cookies, you can often find me making chocolate chip, or some variation thereof. But it’s always good to change things up too. Lately, I’ve had a craving for oatmeal cookies (sans raisins of course). And not just any oatmeal cookies, but those really thin, crispy, buttery ones. The kind with so many oats in them, they cook into perfect, lacy cookie wafers. Of course, when I thought more about making said glorious oatmeal cookies, I figured adding some almonds in there for additional flavor and texture wouldn’t hurt. And a bright hit of lemon (it is spring after all) wouldn’t be a bad idea either.
This is the kind of cookie that could make you eat an entire batch in one sitting if you’re not careful. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Lemon Almond Oat Cookies
makes 2 dozen
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup thinly sliced almonds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, oats, almonds, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
3. In a larger bowl, mix the butter and both sugars together until smooth. Mix in the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour mixture, and mix until well combined.
5. Form cookie dough into about 1” balls and drop onto greased cookie sheets (dough will be sticky - easiest to use two spoons). You should end up with about 2 dozen cookies.
6. Bake at 375 for 9-10 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown on the bottoms. Cool in pans for about 10 min, then enjoy!