11.12.13 Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Blue Cheese
There are two types of people in this world - those who like brussels sprouts, and those who don’t. I happen to fall into the former category. Yes, that’s right, I LOVE brussels sprouts. Like seriously love them. They’ve been my vegetable of choice for as long as I can remember. As a child, I would eat so many at dinner, there would hardly be enough for everyone else. And these days, now that brussels sprouts have come into season, I’ve been cooking them up like crazy.
Now up until this point, the consumers of said brussels sprouts in our household have been limited to me, and only me. The husband can’t stand them, and surprisingly, neither can the dog (I find this amazing, as he will literally eat ANYTHING). But who am I to complain; more for me, right? Nevertheless, I decided that I needed to find some way to make these adorable little crucifers more appealing to even the most stalwart brussels sprouts haters.
Based on the amount of these spicy roasted brussels sprouts eaten by my (previously) brussels sprouts hating husband, I believe I have been successful in this venture. Not only that; this recipe is beyond simple. The idea came from a fellow food lover who had mentioned making this dish a few times before. Once I heard about it, I absolutely had to try it for myself. And then tried it a few more times - it’s that good. There’s something wonderful about the way the heat and acidity of the hot sauce compliments the bitterness of the brussels sprouts. Add in a little creaminess with some blue cheese and you’ve got one tasty dish. You’re lucky there are even pictures in this blog post; I nearly devoured this before I could photograph it. Yes, it’s that good. Trust me.
Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Blue Cheese
serves 3-4 (or 1 if you love brussels sprouts as much as I do)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut into halves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp hot wing sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot) or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine the brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper, until brussels sprouts are evenly coated.
3. Spread brussels sprouts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until brussels are tender and beginning to brown.
4. Combine the hot sauce and melted butter and toss with the warm brussels sprouts until evenly coated. Mix in the blue cheese. Serve immediately.