6.16.15 Strawberry, Balsamic, and Lemon Thyme Smash
I’ve always been a sucker for a good, summery cocktail. You know the kind I’m talking about - a deliciously drinkable libation, perfect for a leisurely summer afternoon spent lounging on the porch. Come summertime, that’s my jam. Usually. Of course, being pregnant kind of puts the whole cocktail thing on hold. But truth be told, I’ve found that it’s really not that big of a deal. I’ve just had to make slightly more creative, alcohol-free porch sippers.
This one in particular is a real standout. Obviously, when strawberries are in season, it’s hard not to make anything you put them in taste delicious. But I’ve found that this winning combination of sweet ripe strawberries, tart balsamic vinegar, and bright lemon thyme is particularly tasty, making for one perfect summer refresher. And being alcohol-free means there’s no inevitable hangover if you accidently have a few too many. Because with a drink this tasty, that’s a definite possibility.
Strawberry, Balsamic, and Lemon Thyme Smash
If you’re not in the process of growing a tiny human and are looking for a slightly more potent beverage, a generous pour of vodka would make a good addition here.
- 4-5 medium strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 sprigs of lemon thyme (plus one more for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp good quality aged balsamic vinegar
- sparkling water (plain or lemon-flavored is best)
1. Muddle the strawberries, lemon thyme, sugar, and balsamic vinegar in a large 16 oz glass (I like to use a wide-mouth pint mason jar), until strawberries are well smashed and releasing juices, about 1 minute.
2. Top glass off with sparking water, stirring to combine with the strawberry mixture (it may be a bit foamy at first, but foam will quickly subside). Add ice, garnish with a sprig of lemon thyme, and serve.