7.2.14 Strawberry Salad with Raspberry Cinnamon Vinaigrette
The Fourth of July (incidentally, one of my favorite holidays of all time) is fast approaching. I don’t know about you, but I’ll likely be spending my holiday weekend boating, suntanning, and probably crushing a few too many of these. Or these. Oh yes, and of course eating. Because we all know that the Fourth is a great excuse to have a cookout. While we all love burgers, brats, ribs, and all of the gloriousness that is the Fourth of July BBQ, it’s always a good idea to have something a little lighter to go along with. Otherwise, when all is said and done, you’re looking at a serious case of the meat sweats. And so, in a (delicious) effort to avoid said carnivorous condition, I present to you this marvelous strawberry salad, the perfect thing to round out an afternoon of backyard meat-eating.
Of all of the salads in the world, this one has to be one of my favorites. Fresh strawberries, crunchy pea shoots, toasted nuts - one fantastic combination. But add in a deliciously spicy-sweet raspberry dressing, and well, you’re looking at one particularly tasty salad. It’s good all year round, but during peak strawberry season (a.k.a right now!), well, it’s on a whole other level. For real.
Oh, and if you’re looking for some more ideas for your Fourth of July cookout, we’ve got you covered. Such as these Banh Burgers (Banh Mi in burger form? Yes please). Or how about five quick summer vegetable recipes? (smoked paprika corn on the cob? summer squash with chile and mint? oh my). And since no cookout is complete without dessert, well you really can’t go wrong with this raspberry peach galette. With all that, you’re sure to have one delicious Fourth this year.
Strawberry Salad with Raspberry Cinnamon Vinaigrette
This salad is also great with the addition of sliced avocado or fresh crumbled goat cheese.
- ¼ cup olive or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp raspberry blush vinegar (or use apple cider vinegar in a pinch)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5 oz mixed salad greens
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into halves
- ½ cup toasted walnuts*
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 oz fresh pea shoots (you can find these at the farmer’s market or at Asian grocery stores. You can also sub chopped snap peas for some extra crunch)
1. To make dressing, combine the oil, raspberry vinegar, honey, cinnamon, and hot sauce in a bowl and whisk thoroughly until mixed. Or to make things even easier, you can put the ingredients in a jar, screw on the lid, and shake until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place salad greens in a large bowl add dressing and toss to coat greens. Top with the strawberries, walnuts, mint, and pea shoots.
*To toast walnuts, heat a large pan over medium heat on the stove. Add walnuts to the pan, and cook, stirring constantly until they begin to brown and take on a toasty aroma (about 5-6 minutes).