6.6.14 Fiery Beef and Rice Noodle Salad
The picnic is a glorious thing. You get to spend time enjoying the outdoors, you get to eat off of a blanket, and most importantly, there’s food and beverages involved. All of these things make me pretty happy. And while I could probably be content to while away the evenings sipping refreshing beverages on the patio, well, a change in scenery, and the exciting prospect of picnicking is always welcome. So a picnic was going to happen sooner or later. And in our case, it happened earlier this week.
It was pretty fantastic picnic, I would have to say. Beautiful weather, a lovely location (Hoyt Park to be exact), a bottle of wine, and some tasty picnic edibles - well, one really can’t go wrong with that. Especially when you’re eating something as delicious as the rice noodle salad I whipped up for our al fresco dining pleasure. I swear this sort of thing may be the perfect picnic food. It’s easy to throw together, packs well, is great cold or at room temp, and is just plain tasty. Spicy, crunchy, cool, herbaceous - this salad has a lot going for it. Rounded out with some fresh fruit, a good vino, and maybe some sort of chocolatey dessert munchie (yes, we all know I’m talking about those chocolate covered almonds from Trader Joe’s that I’m pretty sure have crack in them), and well, you’re picnicking in some serious style.
Of course, you don’t have to be on a picnic to enjoy this salad either. Not to mention it’s a great way to use up that leftover steak you grilled the other night. But enough already, I’m sure you’re just dying to get your picnic on, and I can hardly blame you. And now, armed with this wonderful recipe, your picnic is sure to be perfect.
Fiery Beef and Rice Noodle Salad
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- 4 oz rice noodles, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 6-8 oz grilled steak, thinly sliced (grilled chicken or pork would be great too)
- ½ cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup scallion, thinly sliced - green parts only
- 1 serrano chile pepper, thinly sliced (or more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thai basil
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
1. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk thoroughly until mixed. Or to make things even easier, put the ingredients in a jar, screw on the lid, and shake until combined.
2. Mix together the rice noodles, steak, cucumber, scallion, chile, cilantro, mint, and thai basil, then toss with the dressing until well coated. Top with chopped peanuts.