2.28.14 Grapefruit Shrub Cocktail
So it’s been one of those weeks. Nothing I can quite put my finger on, but for some reason, this week has felt exceptionally long. It must be this weather. Or the fact that, even though we’re almost through February, it still seems like spring is a long way off. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything. But after a week like this one, I’m thinking a good mixology session is in order. And I’ve got just the libation you need.
You see, a few weeks back, I took a brief respite from Wisconsin winter and went on a nice little trip to the Pacific Northwest. It was lovely. And while I was there, I had a wonderful little drink (not to mention some seriously amazing Vietnamese fish sauce wings) at Pok Pok in Portland. Now mind you, I had been drinking all day at various breweries and distilleries across Portland, but this particular drink stood out because it was made with, among other things, drinking vinegar. At first, I was skeptical. Vinegar, after all, is not something I normally think of as a beverage. Nonetheless, I gave it a try, and was pleasantly surprised. The tanginess and acidity of the vinegar added another dimension to the drink that was absolutely fantastic.
So of course, it seemed like a good idea to try to create my own version of this drink at home. Now, not having any of Pok Pok’s delicious drinking vinegar lying around, I knew I was going to have to come up with something of my own. And while it’s pretty easy to make your own flavored drinking vinegar, it does take some time. In a pinch, I decided to try making a quick version of a shrub - a vinegar-based beverage popular during the colonial era comprised of fruit juice, sugar, and vinegar. In this case, I used grapefruit juice, honey, and some good quality apple cider vinegar. Mixed with a little lime, some gin, sparkling water, and a dash of Campari, and my concoction was complete. Deliciously refreshing, with just the right amount of alcohol for a good post week beverage. I’d say the weekend is off to a good start.
Grapefruit Shrub Cocktail
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1 Tbsp honey plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp good quality apple cider vinegar (I recommend Bragg Organic ACV)
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 oz gin ( I recommend Death’s Door)
- dash of Campari
- sparkling water
- lime slice for garnish
1. Combine grapefruit juice and honey, stir until honey is dissolved. Stir in the apple cider vinegar and lime juice.
2. In a 12 oz glass with ice, pour in the gin, grapefruit juice mixture, and a dash of Campari. Top off glass with sparkling water. Stir to mix. Taste drink - if more sweetness is desired, add a little more honey. Garnish with lime slice, and enjoy!